Saturday, May 4, 2019

Us (2019)

Director: Jordan Peele. Cast: Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss. 116 min. Rated R. USA/Japan. Horror/Thriller.

I know you shouldn't score a movie based on a director's other merits, and I know Peele's Get Out probably created insurmountable expectations. But coming out of Us, I found myself unsatisfied for at least a minimum of logic to the dark science-fiction the film's horror is based on. And when that's missing, you're left with an overlong home invasion movie, supposedly a metaphor for how America destroyed itself. Of course, a nice ending twist suggests Peele is replacing Shyamalan for cool twist endings - but long story short, the director is not in control of his material here ... at all.

PS: You'll find references to The Shining or DePalma's split-diopter shots, but somehow I kept being reminded of It Follows. Lo and behold, I later discover the two films were shot by the same cinematographer.

Mo says:

No comments:

Post a Comment