Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

Director: Terry Gilliam. Cast: Heath Ledger, Christopher Plummer, Veme Troyer, Lily Cole, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Colin Farrell, Tom Waits, Peter Stormare. 123 min. Rated PG-13. UK/Canada/France. Fantasy.

After watching Jabberwocky, Brazil, and The Brothers Grimm, I discovered my severe difficulty relating to Terry Gilliam's fantasy world (12 Monkeys was a big exception, but that was sci-fi). Imaginarium adds to the list. The only reason to watch this is to experience Heath Ledger's last acting moments before his untimely death in 2008, halfway though this movie's production (the rest of his role was performed via a clever story ploy by Depp, Law, and Farrell). Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend this very bizarre reminder of Salvador Dali's surrealist paintings.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. spoiler alert!
    honestly I am happy that I've seen it so I can drop in for a while!! :)
    as I am not very found of Fantasy and Comedy films at all , I tried to find a serious issue in it which was " every they , even if you are immortal, you have to chose, deal, decide and try your best to be a good person!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ledger's (unfinished) acting is the movie's only selling point.

    ReplyDelete