Monday, January 27, 2014

20 Feet from Stardom (2013)

Director: Morgan Neville. 91 min. Rated PG-13. Documentary.

Anybody ever thought about those backup singers in bands, the ones who are an integral part of the song, whom we hum to their tunes as much as we enjoy the lead singer? This documentary is about those incredible voices, about their egos, their aspirations, and how they're 20 feet away from the lead singer, but miles away from stardom. We meet backup singers who successfully made the leap (Sheryl Crow, Luther Vandross), and those who didn't and live decades in anonymity. With input from giants like Springsteen, Wonder and Jagger, I rarely remember being so engrossed in a documentary.

PS: Believe me, the 99% Tomatometer score is real.

Mo says:

MoMagic!

2 comments:

  1. I have often wondered about those backing singers who are often better singers than who they back! I will try and see this somehow but it's not on Netflix so I will scour the bittorrents for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it. I can say with a high degree of certainty you''ll love it.

      Delete