Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

Director: Charles Crichton. Cast: Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, John Cleese, Michael Palin. 108 min. Rated R. USA/UK. Comedy/Crime.

After a successful London heist, a group of backstabbing double/triple-crossing thieves try to run off with the diamonds. I know this is a classic, but watching it for the first time, I was constantly bothered by how many comedic situations were driven by a main character not seeing an event that was obviously in his/her field-of-view. And to be honest, I never thought Kevin Kline, as a creator of the comedy, was funny - as opposed to John Cleese, who as a victim of the comedy, is always funny. Or maybe I just enjoy British humor better.

PS: Okay, okay, I confess "He thought that the Gettysberg Address was where Lincoln lived!", and "The  London Underground is not a political movement!", are funny.

Mo says:

5 comments:

  1. I confess : it was quite funny &genuine comedy!Ebert has written: "People trying to be funny are never as funny as people trying to be serious and failing."
    Funny scenes like eating alive Fish and Chips! , Naked John Cleese used that photograph to hide his private part when that British family entered the room :-), or the scene Klein want to apologize him with gun-force! , funny revenge in Airport scene and the line : "Don't call me stupid"!. I couldn't stop laughing most part of the movie !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that was a lesson Ebert taught me! I thought Kevin Kline was not funny, because he was trying to be funny, and John Cleese was funny, because he was a poor victim of circumstance. Why Ebert gave the movie 4 stars, is beyond me.

      Delete
  2. Good to know Klein got the only oscar of movie for his acting !;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't me who voted for him!

      Delete
    2. ;))No worries .We force him to give it back!

      Delete