Thursday, December 11, 2014

Predestination (2014)

Director(s): Michael Spierig, Peter Spierig (as The Spierig Brothers). Cast: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor. 97 min. Rated R. Australia. Sci-Fi/Thriller.

One of the most imaginative sci-fi story-lines I've ever experienced. The finished puzzle creates a picture so bizarre, it's almost as if the writers sacrificed the logical implications of the story just to get the "idea" of possible time-travel consequences out there. Writing anything about the story, starting from what happens at minute one, will spoil it. Let's just say we're dealing with multiple characters being one character, one character being multiple characters, one character switching genders, one character being both genders, ... you get the idea. With a surprising performance by newcomer Sarah Snook, this movie is one helluva discussion-maker.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. Mohsen jan, I agree with your description of the movie, but thanks God I read it after watching the movie. I'm sorry to say that your review was a spoiler! " Let's just say..."
    As you said, the logic of the story was sacrificed for the sake of the idea. Even the writers confessed it in the movie by the paradox of the egg, the chicken and the rooster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? I thought I'd made the description as ambiguous and simultaneously as enticing as possible. Are you sure you're not saying that because you already know what I'm referring to in the review?

      In any case, I hope you enjoyed it.

      :-)

      Delete