Sunday, January 18, 2015

Big Eyes (2014)

Director: Tim Burton. Cast: Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Krysten Ritter, Jason Schwartzman, Danny Huston, Terence Stamp. 106 min. Rated PG-13. USA/Canada. Biography.

In 1950s San Francisco, a swindler claims credit for the work of Margaret Keane, the now-famous artist of paintings picturing sad, big-eyed children. Burton's latest is quite successful in establishing why the male-dominated exploitation went as far as it did, but since a charade of such magnitude is difficult to imagine happening nowadays in a developed country, the director's interest in the subject (except for his eye fetish) was lost on me. Waltz's theatricals (which honestly, are getting a little repetitious) during the climactic trial were so extravagant, I had to do some fact-checking to see how much was dramatized.

Mo says:

3 comments:

  1. This movie was beyond terrible. It looks like Tim Burton has totally lost the magic he once had. I don't think he has directed anything worthwhile since Ed Wood in 1994. A few of his movies have shown the odd flourish of his brilliance but Big Eyes had absolutely nothing. The story was worth telling but not like this. It reminded me of a bad TV movie from the 70s not the work of a talented director at all. I would blame Christoph Waltz for his over the top ham acting but part of a directors job is surely to get a great performance from his actors not allow them to run riot. To be fair to the actors the script was very poor indeed. I don't feel the need to ever watch another Tim Burton movie, I'm just glad I didn't spend any money to watch this trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't know what has happened to Tim Burton. "Alice in Wonderland", "Dark Shadows" and "Frankenweenie" all movies bored me out of my mind. I have DVD collections of my favorite directors at home, and Burton is one of them- but recently when I got my hands on a $1 DVD of "Alice", it wasn't even worth buying! Tim Burton has truly lost his magic.

      Delete
  2. I didn't even bother to watch Frankenweenie and probably never will as for Dark Shadows, total rubbish!

    ReplyDelete