Sunday, January 20, 2019

My Top 10 Movies of 2018

.
I consider 2018 a somewhat boring year for movies. It was good for musicals (Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born), and unbelievable for superheroes (Aquaman, Spider-Man: Spider-verse, Black PantherAnt-Man 2, Deadpool 2, and of course, Infinity War - to the extent that nobody asked: what's going on with Episode IX?).

And in essence, all this means ... it was a boring year for movies. Like other years, it was full of sequels and prequels and remakes (a major Oscar contender is a third remake!) - but that's nothing new. We rarely got anything new or exciting or thought-provoking like Annihilation.

So as usual, right before the Oscar nominees are announced, let's just cut to the chase. My top 10 movies of 2018, in alphabetical order:









































10. Roma


Best Movie of the Year: I've seen this twice already, and I want to see it again. The layers of meaning this film hurls you into (what was it about anyway?), keeps you thinking for a loooooong time after it's over. I've heard sequels are in the works. I hope that doesn't happen.



MoMagic!



Worst Movie of the Year: Never thought this day would come. Well ... I did, just not this fast. They made a Star Wars movie with a story that made no sense, with flimsy characters that had no logic, and resurrected a dead villain from the past that should've stayed dead. Summarily, they made a spin-off that was never needed in the first place. Other than filling some fat pockets.



MoCrap!



Discovery of the Year: This will be strange for film aficionados, but I found two classic movies by a French director that blew me away: Les diaboliques (The Devils), and The Wages of Fear. You can't make exciting black-and-white movies that'll grip the audience on the edge of their seat very easily -even by today's standards.





Discovery of the Year: 

Henri-Georges Clouzot



No comments:

Post a Comment