Friday, March 8, 2019

Suspiria (2018)

Director: Luca Guadagnino. Cast: Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Grace Moretz. 152 min. Rated R. Italy/USA. Horror.

Forget the critics: the horror in Dario Argento's giallo movies was all about "the mood" (his stories weren't necessarily scary), and this remake of his 1977 film recreates exactly just that - in updated form. Guadagnino's version does have some discomforting moments, but what I took home were the colors, the costumes, the music, the sounds (or lack thereof). Yes, the ending is corny, but there has rarely been a movie in recent memory where I was so engrossed solely in its haunting atmosphere, I wanted to stay there for a very long time. A must-see for horror lovers.

Mo says:

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't going to bother with this remake but your positive review has changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete