Monday, October 19, 2009

[REC] (2007)

Director(s): Jaume Balagueró, Paco Plaza. Cast: Ferran Terraza, Manuela Velasco. 78 min. Rated R. Spain. Horror.

For some reason, zombie movies usually have something new to offer - which is the reason for their longivity. In this case, [REC], a horror import from Spain, is entirely shot by handheld camera (interesting how this method accentuates the terror of the unknown). The catch is, throughout the movie, we never see the cameraman. The movie is a gorefest like any other zombie flick, but the final 15 minutes, which is actually goreless, builds up an impressive amount of tension. Recommended if you're up for some gut-wrenching suspense. Remade last year in the States by the title Quarantine.
Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. After I finished the movie , I told myself this is an absolute taste of you ! then I’m surprised if you didn’t like it enough.
    Indeed, in the horror genre the movie was good and to me more attractive than zombie's !particularly it’s credit goes to using hand camera as a new cinematic experience which I guess is quite interesting enough more than anything . The final scene was so irritating and provoked me to see the second part.
    As usual ,the sequel is inferior to original movie .But an interesting concept arrived and although this kind of plot has been portrait already in cinema for numerous times ,besides, it's not been worked on well, but such an idea still seems interesting for us!
    Also its conclusion is another good point.U must watch it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait ... you've already seen the sequel?! They just showed it in Venice last September! And it's not on DVD in the States yet!

    Anyway, I read on Wikipedia that two more sequels are in the works.

    Now that you mention, I'm thinking maybe I was a little unfair to the movie. Probably it was entitled to a Mojo.

    ReplyDelete