Sunday, August 15, 2010

Kick-Ass (2010)

Director: Matthew Vaughn. Cast: Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Mark Strong, Chloe Moretz, Nicolas Cage. 117 min. Rated R. UK/USA.

This was one of those rare films in which I was disgusted by the violence. The filmmakers' think they've portrayed funny Tarantino-style violence, but they have so much to learn. I'm not sure where this disgust comes from; maybe because I find it extremely annoying for a child to be acting like an adult, and applying such insane brutality. This is not what superhero stories were about, and Cage plays one of his most unsuitable roles ever. I couldn't wait for this movie to be over. Unfortunately, they've left room for a sequel.

Mo says:

6 comments:

  1. Well Chloe Moretz was the only part of the movie that I kinda liked. Don't get me started with Nicolas Cage whom I usually refer to as Mr. Pathetic (maybe with the exception of the first National Treasure). The other characters including the title character were all rubbish. And talking about the sequel, according to IMDB Mark Miller is already writing the script.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! Chloe Moretz was the one I hated the most!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this movie, I thought it was one of the funniest movies I've seen in ages... I love tarentino movies but I don't see this as trying to portray any sort of tarentino whether it's sarcastic or not. I don't know if you picked up on it really, it's not a serious superhero story but more of a spoof... I normally enjoy reading your reviews but I feel this one is a little unjust and maybe a little off as it seems you are quite the gore fan, even though your were disgusted at the so called violence of this movie. You even said so yourself in your Piranha review... only watch this if you enjoy intentional stupidity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy ... I guess I'm in the minority here. I remember years ago watching the movie "Baby Geniuses" (1999), and feeling the same disgust, seeing babies acting like adults - to the point that midway through the movie it became intolerable. Maybe this pet peeve of mine is coming from some dark corner of the mind, from a baby abusing me in a past life!

    Thank you for the compliment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this film and found the violence hilarious, Hit-Girl was the star. Cage was Mr. Pathetic, I never really liked him. I am reading the sequel in comics form in a UK monthly anthology comic-magazine and it's ok so far. The best thing about the movie was that it shows, if you are gonna be a super-hero without powers... get some guns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I rest my case. I was just reading in "Entertainment Weekly" a few days ago that people thought Chloe Moretz offered one of the best prefrmances of the year.

    I surrender!

    ReplyDelete