Monday, January 23, 2012

My Top 10 Movies of 2011

Time to wake-up again tomorrow at 5:30 AM! The Oscar nominees will be announced, and my annual tradition is to list my top 10 favorite movies of the year the night before. Again there were some casualties this year, as I had to leave out Almodovar's great The Skin I Live In, in favor of the small gem called Another Earth that came along at the last moment, and pushed Almodovar off the list.

(Funny that last year, the same thing happened with another "Another" movie: Mike Leigh's Another Year.)


So, in alphabetical order, my top 10 movies of 2011:

1. Another Earth

2. The Artist

3. The Descendants

4. Hugo

5. Life in a Day

6. Melancholia

7. Midnight in Paris

8. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

9. A Separation

10. Super 8


And for my favorite movie of the year ... I mean, c'mon. To call any movie other than A Separation as the best movie of 2011, would be blasphemy.

(If you haven't seen it yet, no worries: It'll open in wide release in the US this coming weekend, January 27th.)

2 comments:

  1. How interesting...I had no idea you may choose Mission impossible as your favorite ...it was at the end of my list to watch...I couldn't agree more with The Descendants and I guess it will be my best movie of this year,however,I need more time(maybe 1 week !) for Artist and Hugo.
    Thanks for list & best wishes for "A seperation" in tomarrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I never imagined "Mission Impossible" would end up on this list either! But last week our mutual friend Payam told me I MUST see this movie, as it was one of the most exciting action movies ever. You should give it a try.

    Eager to see your top 10 list, Maryam.

    ReplyDelete