Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Side Effects (2013)

Director: Steven Soderbergh. Cast: Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones. 106 min. Rated R. Drama/Crime.

An intriguing story about psychotropic drug side effects and big business, becomes a John Grisham novel/movie style whodunit mystery. Well-written, well-directed and well-acted all around, with Rooney Mara apparently unable to get rid of her Girl With a Dragon Tattoo creepiness. But when an interesting, prolific directer like Soderbergh says this may be his last movie, I expect something deeper. Much deeper.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. Believe or not after Oscar it's the first movie seriously I've watched!damn on crazy busy life !
    I just saw your comment today and thought : Oh I can't resist such temptation anymore....Soderbergh'art is always appealing and I loved all of his works almost.I liked this one too and enjoyed the movie....as Roger Ebert mentioned I also believe its music was a integral part of movie which captured me tremendously .Everything was perfect like you said : casting,directing ,script ....hopefully not being the last one.He will be missed undoubtedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Soderbergh is a very good director too, and his wide variety of subjects always amaze me. But I had a few problems with this one.

    For instance, the opening shot is exactly "Psycho"'s opening shot: a difficult camera movement, showing one window among hundreds of city windows. I never understood why that opening shot was used, because I didn't see anything obviously Hitchcockian in this movie.

    Or, it was hard for me to imagine Catherine Zeta-Jones as a psychiatrist. Maybe Tilda Swinton or even Julianne Moore would've been better matches.

    And even though I usually pay attention to a movie's soundtrack, strangely this movie's soundtrack didn't grab my attention, as it did for you or Ebert.

    I don't know. I recently saw Soderbergh's "Magic Mike" (about male strippers) also. It was so devoid of an interesting story, I didn't even write anything here about it. I just feel he's smarter than this stuff.

    ReplyDelete