Friday, March 29, 2013

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Director: Simon West. Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Liam Hemsworth, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jet Li, Chuck Norris, Nan Yu. 103 min. Rated R. Action.

Don't know why I watched this. Actually, I do know why I watched this. Action is not a very profound genre anyway, but even after their first failure, I still couldn't pass the chance to see so many action superstars again in the same movie. And again, they blew it. The fact that Simon West (the creator of the  lousiest action movies ever) directs should've been a hint, and that the villain's name is "Vilain" (I kid you not) should've sealed the deal in terms of creativity. Okay, the following back-and-forth was interesting, but I wanted more of its kind:

Arnold: "I'll be back!"

Bruce Willis: "You've been back enough! I'll be back."

Arnold: "Yippee-ki-yay ..."


PS #1: The DVD has a great half-hour documentary about how the 80's action sub-genre came to be and why it was so pertinent during the Reagan era; good enough to solely watch the documentary and forego the movie itself. Unfortunately, the filmmakers (above all, Stallone) are under the illusion that the factors that made the sub-genre important 30 years ago are still relevant today.

PS #2: Who in the world is Nan Yu? If they wanted an Asian female action star, weren't Michelle Yeoh or Lucy Liu available? Ughhhhh, this movie has so many problem as it is.

Mo says:



2 comments:

  1. I will give this one a miss. No doubt I will catch it on TV sometime but I will not pay a penny to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it from the local library ... for free! I'm happy that time was the only thing I wasted on this.

    ReplyDelete