Saturday, July 20, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

Director: Sam Raimi. Cast: James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, Zachary Braff. 130 min. Rated PG.

A Wizard of Oz prequel. It's prohibitive to compare a stage play to cinema, but if I hadn't already seen the far more sophisticated and socio-politically amusing Oz prequel story, the Broadway show Wicked, I might have enjoyed this more. Still, in lieu of the creative use of the 1939 movie story elements (the yellow brick road, the deadly poppy field, the Wizard's looming fog-like projection), the CGI effects here are too cartoonish and distracting. And how many times do I have to say I don't like James Franco? Nobody seems to listen.

Trivia: Bruce Campbell has played a role in almost every Sam Raimi feature film. Here, he's an Emerald City gatekeeper.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. I just watched this on TV and have to say it was rubbish. OK, maybe it was because I saw the original movie just last week but all in all I doubt that that would have changed my mind about this travesty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I look back, I believe I was too kind to this movie two years ago - maybe because of Sam Raimi. This should've been a NoMo.

    ReplyDelete