Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lore (2012)

Director: Cate Shortland. Cast: Saskia Rosendahl, Nele Trebs, Ursina Lardi. 109 min. Not Rated. Germany/Australia/UK. Drama/War.

Amazing how WWII has provided an endless wealth of story-lines for movies, and yet ... here comes an entirely new viewpoint: Hitler has fallen, and a teenage girl and her younger siblings, children of Nazi parents, wander across war-torn Germany, looking for refuge. The movie does not fall into the trap of portraying them as innocent bystanders, but does help us look at the world through their eyes - and realize how abusive it is to structure your entire family's life on an ideology (any ideology). Youngsters' brains are molested, just because their parents absolutely knew what was right.

Mo says:

5 comments:

  1. How beautiful ! How did you find such a great piece of beauty.? This is absolutely sort of movies that I may miss watching if I was not follower of Moblog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use the Rotten Tomatoes' list of "Coming Soon" DVDs. Anything above 90%, I go for it.

      Delete
  2. I would have missed this one too if not for your wonderful blog!

    I found this thought provoking and very chilling indeed. Hitler and his henchmen managed to brain wash a nation and the effects are still being felt to this day. It is sad that neo-nazi groups are on the rise and while I doubt this will happen again, it's not impossible.

    There was a good making of Lore documentary on the disc which has inspired me to track down the book this film was based on. Lore is younger in the book.

    I was surprised that the movie was directed by an Australian who spoke no German at all. She had to argue with the films backers to shoot it in German and luckily won. Her husbands family were German Jews who escaped Nazi Germany before the holocaust and the pictures we see with the Jewish heroes documents are those of her inlaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Toast. But I missed the documentary on the disc! Wish I'd been more diligent. Guess I have to go rent it again!

      What you say is probably not limited to Nazism. Ideological extremism seems to be on the rise everywhere.

      Delete
  3. I know, just turn on the news and see all the countries that are going through hell. Makes me glad I live in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete