Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Karate Kid (2010)

Director: Harald Zwart. Cast: Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan, Taraji P. Henson. 140 min. Rated PG. Sports.

I never thought much about the original 1984 flick, and this extra-long cliche-filled semi-tearjerker with throwaway characters and useless subplots, is filled with wise-sounding mumbo jumbo and not an intelligent script moment in sight (it's a mystery to me why every Chinese in the final tournament was cheering for the American kid). Jackie Chan employs his usual style of giving objects a different martial-arts-encoded meaning; but admittedly, regardless of his parental connections, Jaden Smith does have a future.

Mo says:

4 comments:

  1. I havent seen it but from the clips I saw it should have been called The Kung Fu Kid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karate, kung fu, tae kwan do, ... who cares? When the movie is lame, they could be doing aerobics.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m happy filmmaker is not here to hear all of these complements! Roger Ebert had better feeling! I like movie as an entertainment and almost enjoy the scenes of hard practice and training in any sport movies including this , however I know it’s total cliché. I liked the original movie and specially that old man trainer but Jackie Chan was good and agree about Will Smith’s son too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Struggling to look back to see if I was cruel to this film. But the only thing I remember is two things: A Chinese girl dancing to Lady Gaga (whaaaat?), and a movie that is too long. Just too long.

    ReplyDelete