Sunday, December 11, 2011

Jane Eyre (2011)

Director: Cary Fukunaga. Cast: Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Bell, Michael Fassbender, Sally Hawkins, Judi Dench. 120 min. Rated PG-13. UK/USA. Drama/Romance.

I'm not a romantic movie type, but I have to admit: the new version of Bronte's classic novel mystified me. Maybe because of the authenticity of the story, maybe for the panoramic cinematography, maybe because of Wasikowska's captivating performance (an actress whom I'm not too fond of, just because she bombed Tim Burton's latest), or maybe because of the film's enchanting soundtrack by Oscar-winner Marianelli. I don't know. Whatever it was, it worked. And worked very well.

PS #1: Thank you, Maryam, for the movie recommendation.

PS #2: Check out Michael Fassbender's profile during the past three years: Hunger, Fish Tank, Inglourious Basterds, X-Men: First Class, and 2011's Jane Eyre, A Dangerous Method, and Shame. Check out the flexibility. His first feature movie on the silver screen was just 5 years ago, in 300, and soon he'll be the leading role in RIdley Scott's Prometheus, the Alien prequel. An actor to keep an eye on.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. You are very welcome. I'm glad you liked it. Definitely good soundtrack & good actor but your note made me eagerly to go for Hunger & fish Tank .It's a longtime i was looking for both and tonight fortunately i found them in Netflix available .I'll comeback later !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small note: definitely watch those two movies, but about "Hunger", I mention in my review a short part in the middle of the film, the dialogue is indescernible. There's a possibility that this was not intentional, and there's a problem with the audio quality of the Netflix copyi watched. Not sure. Tell me if you experience the same.

    ReplyDelete