Friday, October 12, 2012

End of Watch (2012)

Director: David Ayer. Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Peña, Anna Kendrick, America Ferrera. 109 min. Rated R. Crime/Drama.

There's only one profession I believe to be tougher than medicine, and that's police work. This film clearly demonstrates it. Showing two good-natured cops (Gyllenhaal and Peña) patrolling the filthiest neighborhood in the worst city on Earth (south-central LA), the hand-held documentary style photography places you right in the scene, and makes you wonder how these people survive even a month on the job. And amazingly, the movie has a well-written story with robust character development, leading to a very surprising ending. End of Watch performs the impossible task of making you respect these people, without being formulaic.

PS: Thank you, Reza, for the recommendation.

Mo says:
MoMagic!

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try and track this one down.

    I agree that they do an incredible job. I wouldn't have the guts to do it. There are a few rotten apples but overall, police officers deserve respect from us all.

    If you ever get the chance to read Choir Boys then please do so. It's light years ahead of the terrible movie. In fact I couldn't believe that such a brilliant book could be destroyed.

    PS. Have you seen comicbookgirl19's latest vlog? She gives a rundown on all the big summer movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me? Ever since you introduced me to Comicbookgirl19, I've been sharing every single one of her videos on my Facebook page. She's awesome, and her roundup of the summer movies was top-notch. Thanks again for the heads up.

    I'll see if I can find the audiobook to "Choir Boys". Not much time to read books. I've resorted to just "hearing" them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a facebook page! Friend me if you don't mind, my real name is Michael Eddie - Alness.

    Hearing books is a good compromise but make sure it's an unabridged version. You really need to hear the full and uncensored horror of the Choir Boys. It has lot's of humour too, which is needed to balance out the depravity of the perps and some of the cops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just sent you a friend request on FB. I'm Mohsen Ghofrani.

    Nice to meet you Mike!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete