Saturday, August 9, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Director: James Gunn. Cast: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, Michael Rooker, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Karen Gillan, Glenn Close, Benicio Del Toro. 121 min. Rated PG-13. Action/Adventure/Sci-fi.

If you're not a sci-fi fan (i.e., you have imagination shortcomings), stay away. But if you are an avid sci-fi/fantasy follower ... this movie is heaven on Earth. Or outer space. Because in a very short time, it is able to introduce the wackiest, most colorful characters since Star Wars, and then construct a "plausible" story, in a background of some of the most beautiful 70s pop songs. And it works. Look, there's a yammering raccoon in the movie. And I'm saying it works. Can't wait for the Avengers/Guardians match-up.

Trivia: Wikipedia says Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" was featured in the films Boogie Nights (1997), Invincible (2006), Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008), Lovelace (2013) and Guardians of the Galaxy (2014). They fail to mention it was in Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects (2005) also.

Mo says:

5 comments:

  1. This was one movie I was not going to miss for anything and I am delighted to report that I loved it. Rocket Racoon was my favourite character followed closely by Groot. Surely Vin Diesel must win an Oscar for his incredible 4 word part! I too look forward to an Avengers/Guardians team up :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. The 3D was great and I ducked at one point! I will be getting this on 3D Blu Ray when it's released...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate enough to watch the movie on 3D IMAX. What a pleasure.

      Delete
  3. My nearest IMAX is hundreds of miles away and finances dictate that I just can't afford the round trip just to see a movie, no matter how great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, our close-by IMAX is a fake version - only double the size of a regular screen. A real IMAX should be the size of a 6-story building, the closest to us which is an hour away in San Francisco.

      Delete