Friday, August 29, 2014

Visitors (2013)

Director: Godfrey Reggio. 87 min. Not Rated. Documentary.

Godfrey Regio, the avant-garde creator behind the famed "Qatsi trilogy" (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi), which combines silent images with Philip Glass' haunting music to show the destruction of human civilization by technology, takes his style a step further here, and tries to enchant us by beautiful alternating black-and-white images of dilapidated buildings, natural panoramas, and people (and a gorilla) staring into the camera - for several minutes each. Why lie? With all its trance-like effects and beautiful soundtrack, I fast-forwarded half the movie. Must've been a deep film.

PS: Don't miss these IMDb reviews written by common people like me. Honestly. I read them after writing my own review, so don't be surprised by the similarities. My favorite line:

"[This movie] is like watching a screensaver with the same repetitive music playing on and on in the background. In fact, I have screen savers that are more entertaining."

Mo says:

No comments:

Post a Comment