Wednesday, June 24, 2015

We Are Still Here (2015)

Director: Ted Geoghegan. Cast: Barbara Crampton, Andrew Sensenig, Lisa Marie. 84 min. Not Rated. Horror.

Imagine a character sitting in a chair, and a vase next to him on a side-table suddenly bursting into pieces for no reason. The character should be following up why this happened, right? In this haunted house movie, multiple events like this go uninvestigated ... for a full hour of movie time. And the family stays in the house, just freaking out at each event, and then ignoring it till the next one occurs. Drives you nuts. To add insult to injury, the ending is copied off John Carpenter's The Fog. Why did I watch it? Look at its Tomatometer score.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. I rarely agree with reviews on mainstream sites, people give movies top marks that are in my opinion crap! Plus the fact that many of the "reviews" are fake! I have challenged people on Amazon in the past over a 5 star review for a film I deemed deserving of a single star but have given up on that now. Equally I have seen movies get a single star that I would have rated 4 or 5! I no longer read the top score reviews but try the middling ones for a balanced view of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree with your point. Often my mistake is, I look for obscure good movies solely based on the cumulative critics' score, and for multiple reasons, such an approach has a relatively high failure rate. Especially since some of these critics may be the studios' hired hands.

      Delete