Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Invictus (2009)

Director: Clint Eastwood. Cast: Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon. 134 min. Rated PG-13. Sports.

I guess in recent years, Clint has made us so used to masterpieces, anything less than perfect is considered mediocre. Invictus' first half works brilliantly as Freeman does the masterful job of portraying Nelson Mandella, and familiarizes the viewer, especially those interested in non-violent opposition, with the mechanisms of such movements. But then the second half succumbs into the usual cliches of sports movies (and of course, including the final obligatory slow motion shot of the main rugby player's last shoot/throw/jump). Still, I'm willing to forgive Eastwood, just because of the inspiring first half.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. I like Eastwood ‘s works because he always tells the story of change, of hope, unity, no border between races black & white and all factors necessary for making a movie full of emotion and in one word inspirational.
    Becoming familiar with non-violent opposition of Mandela sounds interesting! I didn’t notice this point except green color which was shining everywhere !But I enjoyed sport competition’s scenes too( even as a cliche scenes )and in spite of knowing nothing about rugby, I was affected by its excitement and became interested in learning its rules!
    The beautiful quote of film:
    Nelson Mandela: I thank whatever gods may be / For my unconquerable soul. / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I thought Mandela's scenes and dialogues were the best moments of the movie. Very educational.

    I think the poem you mentioned wasn't by Mandela, but from the poem "Invictus", by William Ernest Henley.

    ReplyDelete