Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

Director: David Yates. Cast: Alexander Skarsgård, Margot Robbie, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, Djimon Hounsou, Jim Broadbent. 110 min. Rated PG-13. Action/Adventure.

Wise decision not to make another origin story. They find Tarzan in England, happily married to Jane, and invite him to Congo to do some more Tarzan stuff; making this a sequel. While the action sequences (including swinging from a single vine over a mile onto a speeding train) reach Transformers level insanity, Alexander Skarsgård's sudden anger spells show he hasn't shaken off his "True Blood" Eric the Vampire persona yet, and the vagueness of the story logic makes you wonder why the movie was made in the first place, compared to this year's other summer pics, I was entertained.

Mo says:

8 comments:

  1. Amazing . I never thought you may see it ...at least on screen! The tomato-meter is terrible and movie looks like transformers that you were not fan of series as long as I remember !
    I was entertained too. Maybe just it brought back my nice childhood memories of that nice TV show . Remember ? Or simply just I love that kind of Macho-type hero (I saw the first part of "Arrow" TV sereis last night and it is really GOOD !)
    Anyway I enjoyed the scene you mentioned : swinging from a single vine ....along with cool Samuel Jackson on the back ! he stole the show in some scene like this ;))Not touching romance except fuuny first encounter...not impressed by happy ending of becoming a British Duke or count or lord...(End of khalibandy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, the summer movies have been so bad, is it possible my movie tastes have become ... easygoing?

      I still prefer the Duke/Count/Lord opening, to another long first half of the movie showing him as a baby, growing among apes, learning how to swing, learning how to yell his famous yell, etc etc. That would've bored me to death.

      Delete
  2. Possibly! let's try some hot romantic movies to test your taste's change!

    I am glad that you didn't get that much bored!;) I still prefer your beautiful scenario and know how he learned to yell his famous yell and expected him to yell more and more !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on the Johnny Weismuller movies which I loved at the time but prefer the Lord Greystoke of more modern times and as that was part of the original novels, it's more accurate. However, this movie bored me, I can't believe the swinging from tree to tree nonsense on handy "vines" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the Christopher Lambert version. Do you recommend it?

      Delete
    2. As one reviewer said, "They managed to get the 1st part of the movie right but totally failed with the next part." I'd recommend you watch it if it ever appears on TV but not really worth paying money to see.

      Delete
    3. Someone gave it to me for free! Just hadn't watched it yet.

      ;-)

      Delete