Monday, August 15, 2016

Weiner (2016)

Director(s): Josh Kriegman, Elyse Steinberg. 96 min. Rated R. Documentary.

Seligman: No matter how much I try, I can't find anything laudable in pedophilia.

Joe: That's because you think about the, perhaps 5%, who actually hurt children. The remaining 95% never live out their fantasies. Think about their suffering. Sexuality is the strongest force in human beings. To be born with a forbidden sexuality must be agonizing. The pedophile who manages to get through life with the shame of his desire, while never acting on it, deserves a bloody medal.

                                                                   - Nymphomaniac: Vol. II (2013)

I've occasionally thought about that quote from von Trier's bizarre movie; most so when watching this documentary about disgraced NY Congressman, Anthony Weiner (of all possible names), a "sexting" addict who continued his act even after resigning from Congress, decimating his own later run for NYC Mayor. The problem with the likes of him and Bill Clinton, is that they're also politicians, with personal lives open to scrutiny. Based on the above quote, Weiner may deserve a medal for his perseverance, but considering how these people take down their faithful partners (Huma and Hillary), they've probably chosen the wrong career.

Mo says:

No comments:

Post a Comment