Director: Woody Allen. Cast: Woody Allen, Mira Sorvino, Helena Bonham Carter, F. Murray Abraham, Olympia Dukakis, Paul Giamatti, Peter Weller, Jack Warden. 95 min. Rated R. Comedy.
The good thing about Woody Allen is that he's directed up to 50 films, so you can always go back and watch the ones you've missed. Among them, this was a pure delight. In addition to Allen's usual neurotic characters, memorable dialogue, and twisted couple relationships, this also adds the spices of a very unpredictable ending (exactly how fate works), Mira Sorvino's dominance as the "hooker with a heart of gold" (actually the leading actress, but shoved in as a supporting to get her an Oscar), and an immensely creative Greek chorus line that acts as Woody's usual reproaching conscience.
- "Achilles only had an Achilles heel, I have an entire Achilles body."
- "Who is the boss between you and mommy?"
- "Who is the boss? You have to ask that? I'm the boss, okay? Mommy is only the decision maker. You know, there's a difference between ... Mommy says what we do, ... and I have control of the channel changer."
- "I'm not a violence person! I write about boxing and hockey and football!"
- "My father's brother was supposed to be a genius. I never met him, but everybody said he was brilliant."
- "Really? What did he do?"
- "He was a serial rapist. He spent his whole life in jail, but if he had gone straight, he might have been very good in math."
PS: So I still need to see Crimes and Misdemeanors, Alice, September, Broadway Danny Rose, Interiors, ...